Harriman Springs is again open for the public to enjoy a majestic setting.
Rocky Point has long been the site of a lakeside fishing resort of summer-only residents
starting in the late 19th century, including wealthy San Franciscans, such as Herbert
Fleishhacker. Harriman Springs Resort was purchased by Edward Harriman in 1906.
It was first named the Pelican Bay Lodge, built in 1889, and renamed Harriman Lodge
by Edward Harriman. The original lodge burned in 1942 and was rebuilt in 1953.
Among Harriman’s other guests were naturalist John Muir. Harriman Springs
was closed to the public in the late 1990s and is reopening in 2014
after a lengthy restoration.
Views of the old restaurant between 1996 and 1998.
Spring fed Harriman Creek empties into Pelican Bay.
Harriman Springs has been a fishing mecca from Indian days to now.
Here is a place to enjoy and create cherished memories. The first post office
in the area was named Pelican; it was established in 1888 and ran until 1907. It was
followed by other names: Recreation, Pelican Bay, Rocky Point and from 1947 to 1954
it was known as Harriman, after railroad magnate Edward H. Harriman, who kept
a summer camp in the area for several years.
For more information visit Harriman Springs Resort and Marina
©2014 Anders Tomlinson, all rights reserved.
All photos by Anders Tomlinson unless noted.